Chronic dry skin? It may surprise you to know your skin lotion could be to blame! You probably never would have guessed that skin lotion could cause dry skin but it can. Store-bought skin lotion can also be addictive. You start using it because your skin might feel a little dry once and suddenly, if you don’t use it, your skin feels parched and flaky.
Why Conventional Lotion Causes Dry Skin
Plastic surgeon, Dr. Chris Ingelfield explains that depending on moisturizer can make skin “forget” how to moisturize and soften itself. Healthy skin is able to keep itself moisturized by producing ‘natural moisturizing factors’. The amount your skin produces depends on your environment and overall health.
If you vacation in a dry climate, your skin will adjust by producing more natural moisturizing factors. However, if you cover your skin with moisturizer each day, your skin will become lazy and stop producing NMFs. Since skin lotion blocks your skin’s normal repair and moisturizing system, eventually, it is unable to do this on its own and depends on the lotion!
Also, many popular lotions contain mineral oil, a petroleum derivative that has been shown to clog your pores, dry out your skin, and lead to premature aging.
Harmful Chemicals in Many Store-Bought Lotions
- Mineral Oil – Mineral oil is a petrochemical that has been shown to cause damage to your nervous system.
- Parabens – Parabens are common antibacterial agents found in skin lotion. These estrogen-mimicking compounds have been strongly linked to the development of breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer.
- Phthalates – Phthalates are put in lotion to make it absorb more quickly into your skin though The Environmental Protection Agency has classified these chemicals as human carcinogens.
- Fragrance – Most of the scents found in skin lotion are synthetic, and have been linked to skin rashes, upper respiratory allergies, and nervous system damage.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate – Sodium laurel sulfate is used to dissolve oils into your skin but it has been linked to immune system damage.
- Formaldehyde – Formaldehyde is used in embalming dead bodies yet it’s put into your skin lotion! This chemical has been declared carcinogenic by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Synthetic Colors – Your skin lotion may also contain synthetic dyes that have been linked to allergies, upper respiratory damage, and even cancer!
Healthy, All-Natural Ways to Heal Chronic Dry Skin
If you drink a lot of caffeinated beverages each day, you could be drying out your skin. Drink 6-8 glass of water each day to moisturize your skin from the inside out.
- Biotin Supplement
Biotin is part the B-complete group of vitamins. Without enough of this essential nutrient, you may experience dry skin, hair, and nails. You may also have difficulty metabolizing carbohydrates, fats, and amino acids, which could lead to more nutritional deficiencies. A high-quality skin and nail formula containing biotin can help your skin look and feel its best.
- Dry Skin Brushing
Dry skin brushing before your daily shower can help slough off dead skin cells, increase sebum production, and improve your circulation. This can reverse the effects of store-bought lotions by encouraging your skin to replenish itself.
- Coconut Oil
Coconut oil a powerful natural moisturizer that helps heal your skin from inflammation, eczema, psoriasis, and acne breakouts. It also contains natural bacteria-fighting lauric acid to protect your skin from damage and premature aging.
- Argan Oil
Argan oil has been used for thousands of years to moisturize, heal, and protect your skin. Unlike many of the lotions you’re used to using, argan oil contains no harmful chemicals whatsoever. In addition to healing your dry skin, argan oil treats brittle nails, dry skin, and helps prevent the signs of premature aging.
The skin lotion you’re using right now could be harming your health and drying out your skin. These natural alternatives can give you the skin you crave without any hidden side effects!
Want to Know What Else is Lurking in the Beauty Products You Use Each Day?
Download Your Copy of My 100% FREE Report: “Dying to Be Beautiful – Top 10 Killer Ingredients in Your Beauty Products